Monday, October 15, 2012

My Nobel Peace Prize (2012)

I really didn't want to have to say this, but everyone is telling me to go ahead and opt for full disclosure over excessive modesty. So, yes, as you no doubt suspected, the European Union won the Nobel Peace Prize this  year precisely because I am living in France for 10 months. I essentially deflected the prize to the EU. There, it's out; I feel better.

I join a long, prestigious line of prestigious Americans who won the prize for the very reason that, well, um. We'll come back to that. But anyway, I am proud to follow Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, and Barack Obama in accepting the prize. I am humbled to be part of this prestigious line of peacemakers, though (and I am not just being modest when I say this) I have to confess that I am not up to their level of contribution.

Carter won "for his decades of untiring effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts, to advance democracy and human rights, and to promote economic and social development." (Dude, what are you choking on?) Gore won, along with the IPCC, "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change." (You're choking and crying?) Obama won "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." (Why are you doubled over?) The EU (i.e., me in reality) won "for [having] over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe."*

(Hey, are you okay? Do you want me to do the Heimlich? Wait, hey! Are you laughing?! Cut that out! No, seriously, stop! Okay, whatever. Once you get up off the floor and wipe away your tears of mirth, please try to listen to me seriously.)

This is a wonderful legacy. Overlook the fact that I haven't been alive for six decades, and all of these citations for heroic Americans make your heart swell with pride.

One day I will come out and write an overtly political post about the Nobel Peace Prize, but for now I just wanted to let overflow my enthused and overwhelmed heart and spirit at the great honor I had to receive the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize. (The 1.5 million dollars is only a secondary consideration.)

*Source: Uh, Wikipedia of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment