An Idiosyncratic Reading List: Signed Copies

It is said that living former U.S. presidents form one of the most exclusive clubs in the world. On my shelves, an equally exclusive club of books sits and beckons, smugly and urgently. It is the Shelf of the Signed Copies.

Though elite, the Shelf of the Signed Copies is not an impenetrable fortress of exclusivity. Many, though not just any, other books could potentially enter its coveted ranks. (Indeed, the asterisked volumes in the list below indicate anticipated autographs.) Books written by the now deceased, alas, cannot join the club. Many other books, though written by living authors, have my priorities working against them -- I simply am not looking for autographs for every last one of my books. But when I get an autograph, it is a heady experience, not just because one is a book nerd but because one actually meets a personal hero.

As things currently stand, here is the list of signed copies that I own, in order of when I got them signed:

How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Acccents (Julia Alvarez)
Provincializing Europe (Dipesh Chakrabarty)
Krik! Krak! (Edwige Danticat)
Color Me English (Caryl Phillips)
The Distant Shore (Caryl Phillips)
*Caribbean Literature and the Public Sphere (Raphael Dalleo)
*American Imperialism's Undead (Raphael Dalleo)

*To be signed, I hope, in March 2018, when I meet the author.

Comments

Popular Posts