Is Reading in Decline?

This is the question I have in relation to a small research project I am working on: Is reading in decline? I hear that it is. Newspapers, of course, sell a lot less. Yet much reading is done online and on e-readers and other devices now. So is reading in decline, really?

Any help you have towards answering this question would be much appreciated. I have the 2004 report from National Endowment of the Arts titled Reading at Risk: A Survey of Literary Reading in America. I plan to re-read it, but obviously it studies only literary reading, and my question is broader than that.
  • So, do you know of any studies/surveys on reading, in the U.S. or elswhere?
  • Do you think that reading is in decline, or simply in transformation (what we read, how we read, where we read)?
  • Has your reading declined since an unidentified point in the past?

Image: dan / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Comments

Popular Posts