Dispose of that Translation

Mi esposa tomó esta foto en el baño público de un centro comercial. Es un letrero que alguien intentó traducir del inglés, tal vez usando un programa de traducción. Salió bastante mal y chistosa la traducción y parece que un cliente hispanoparlante decidió de corregirla


 A blogger friend and French professor extraordinaire, ivman, has the best online collection of funny signs I know of. I am posting my first funny sign today, and also my first example of bad translation (a common feature on most translation/language blogs).

I am totally not making this up. This is a sign that my wife saw recently in a mall restroom (she took the photo, incidentally). Though she is Mexican, a Spanish professor, and  a freelance interpreter/translator, she was not the one that corrected the nonsensical, very poor, very funny (machine?) translation.

The new translation is okay (it makes sense at least, though grammar could be improved), but the original says (if I may back-translate a bad translation), "Make please not dispose of baby to wipe, the diapers nor sanitary products in sinks. The fabric of the sink only."

Which is funnier, the poor translation or the fact that someone took it upon herself to correct it?

Comments

  1. I was very pleased to find this page. I need to to thank
    you for your time due to this wonderful read!!

    I definitely loved every part of it and I have you book
    marked to look at new things in your website.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts