Sentimentality - Sentimentalité - Sentimentalismo - センチメンタリズム

I am in search of a good definition of "sentimentality." But I am not looking for a dictionary definition, because they haven't helped me so far. I am looking for a definition of the term (or the adjective "sentimental") in the way we use it when criticizing a book or movie. It seems to be a very slippery term, one of those that we understand but can't always explain. Last year I read an excellent definition/explanation on someone's blog somewhere, but now I have no idea whose blog it was. So how about giving me your best definition of "sentimentality"? Or can you illustrate it for me?

Qu'est-ce que c'est que la sentimentalité ? Je suis à la recherche d'une définition ou plutôt d'une explication de ce terme, dans le sens qu'on l'emploie d'une manière critique ou négative en parlant d'un roman ou un film. C'est la mièvrerie peut-être mais qu'est-que c'est, précisément ? Pourquoi une distinction entre cette idée et ce qu'on considérerait comme de bonnes émotions ou du moins quelque chose de normal ?

Estoy en busca de une definición de la palabra "sentimentalismo." Ya busqué en los diccionarios y todavía me falta un je-ne-sais-quoi en cuanto al uso. Busco un sentido negativo que uno usaría para criticar un libro o una película, como la sensiblería tal vez. Pero ¿qué es exactamente?

センチメンタリズムって何? 日本語でよく英語のsentimentalismをカタカナでセンチメンタリズムと書くんですが、感傷主義という意味です。具体的にどういうことです? なぜ普通の感情と過度の感情、センチメンタリズム (涙もろさ?) と区別しますか? これはとても主観的なことか、文化による判断ですか?

Comments

Popular Posts